Para-Aramid is an extremely strong material with high tensile strength. On a weight for weight basis the material is 5 to 8 times stronger than steel. In addition, it exhibits only little elongation and has excellent fire and heat resistant properties. EuroFibers supplies Kevlar®, Twaron® and Technora®.
One of the first applications of para-aramid was the replacement of steel wire in the carcass of large truck tires, racecar tires and tires for aircraft. Especially for heavy duty trucks the use of aramid provides significant benefits compared to steel wire:
- Weight saving of 2.4 kg to 5.2 kg per tire.
- Less heat dissipation leads to a 5% lower tire temperature compared to a similar tire with steel wire.
- Rolling resistance is lower compared to a similar tire with steel wire, which reduces the energy loss.
- Reducing rolling resistance, together with the savings in weight provides a reduction in fuel consumption.
- The life of the tires is increased by 10% to 14%.
Composites are fiber-reinforced plastics, made from strong fibers embedded in polymer resin. The big advantage of such composites is that they have a higher strength and stiffness, are lightweight and corrosion and tear resistant compared to steel and other natural materials. Disadvantages are that the material can be more brittle and prone to concentrated stress. Composites reinforced with Kevlar® or Twaron® are developed at a high pace, thanks to its good characteristics. It is particularly being used in the following applications:
- Airline industry, for example, to reduce the weight of fairings and improve impact resistance
- Marine industry, particularly to reinforce the hull of racing yachts and power boats and reduce weight.
- In panels of refrigerated lorries, for its good mechanical and insulation properties in conjunction with its light weight.
Cut and heat resistant gloves
The use of Kevlar and Twaron in cut resistant gloves is a very different application. Gloves with aramid are four times as effective against cutting as cotton and eight times more effective than leather gloves.
Soldiers use gloves made of Kevlar and Nomex to protect against all kinds of threats.
Heat resistant gloves made with Kevlar protect against cuts and fire. In combination with the heat-resistant glove of Nomex ®, DuPont protects soldiers in various areas: pilots of fighter airplanes, crew of combat vehicles and infantry.
Fiber Optical Cables
Kevlar and Twaron are highly resistant to fire and heat. They do not melt and are resistant to acids and alkalis. In addition, the materials have good abrasion resistance properties.
Nomex has flame-resistant and insulating properties, it doesn’t melt and is also resistant to acids and alkalis. It is very comfortable to wear on the skin and easy to dye .
It is important to use clothing made with Kevlar, Nomex and/ or Twaron in dangerous situations where people can get cut or burned. Our customers use these fibers supplied by EuroFibers to produce protective clothing that help people to perform at times when it is most needed. Twaron is also available in black, making it possible to add in more para-aramid fabric for e.g. dark firemen suits. The suits will retain their dark color and are at the same time, stronger and better protected against heat.